Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Charcoal Drawings

I have had the pleasure (and a bit of frustration with glass ;0) ) of photographing a small set of charcoal drawings these past couple days for a new client.  Beautiful drawings of the nude figure, they take me right back to art school.  I have not had a chance to really play with charcoal in awhile.  I have had brief encounters with it when teaching kid's art classes, but they don't seem to really get into it at that age, they like working with color better.  There is really nothing like charcoal ... I am one of those people that love it, I come away covered with smudges and dust from moving it across the paper, the amounts ebbing and flowing in an effort to recreate the image at hand.  I like the lightness of it, I like how it feels on the paper.  It is kind of akin to photography and light, but with more direct, detailed control.  I am thinking I need to take advantage of one of the open studios being offered around here and go draw, just for me!

I usually share the images of my clients to help promote their work and these are lovely.  While I find nudes artistic and expressive of the beauty of being human, I know that is not everyone's sensibilities or perhaps they are just not appropriate for their situation at this time.  Anyway, if you would like to see his work, let me know ... I'll post them to Flickr and provide limited access.  He is going to put together a website, so I will let you know when that is up and running, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment